Planning and Education
- Review operations, financial
position, fundraising history, management and board in the
context of capital planning
- Review strategic plan
or make recommendation to initiate planning process
- Recommend appropriate
plan of finance for capital project:
• Work with staff and/or fundraising counsel to assess
capacity to raise capital donations.
• Determine appropriateness of and capacity for long
term debt financing.
• Outline components of proposed plan of finance,
i.e. the plan could include a capital
campaign, tax-exempt bond financing secured by a letter
of credit and/or a foundation guarantee, and a bridge loan
from a community loan fund.
- Educate management and
Board throughout planning process, particularly regarding
expectations, due diligence and options for fundraising
and debt financing.
- Prepare preliminary
project timeline and sources and uses of funds to include
all aspects of development (i.e. collaboration planning,
bricks and mortar, capital campaign, financing)
and Project Coordination
- Review ownership options such as purchase,
long-term lease, multi-tenant collaboration, campus, new
construction or renovation
- Review existing project assumptions including
program size and definition, space planning, architectural
drawings, cost estimates and sources and uses of funds.
- Strategize with staff and leadership to define
current vision and space needs.
- Assist in selection of broker and project
manager (as needed) and preliminary design and cost estimating
team to produce revised project definition and estimates.
- Assist in selection of architect, contractor,
and project manager, as appropriate.
- Strategize with legal and architectural
team to obtain entitlements.
- Assist in oversight of design process.
- Oversee lender requirements for project.
- Ongoing, assist in project coordination
throughout predevelopment process and through constructon
period as needed.
- Assist in identifying potential site partners
who can strengthen the vision and/or bring additional sources
of funds to the project.
- Meet with potential site partners to determine
- Assist in negotiations with collaborative
partner(s) to define respective roles regarding fundraising
- Clarify expectations and assumptions for
ownership and control prior to construction, during construction,
and upon occupancy.
- Ongoing participation in partnership meetings
Services and Planning for Debt Financing
- Obtain sufficient internal analysis to make
a preliminary decision on whether to pursue debt financing.
- Educate Board and management regarding appropriate
financing options including bank loans, bond financing,
new markets tax credits, program related investments, alternative
- Determine preliminary plan of finance and
appropriate combination of organizational equity, capital
campaign,and debt financing.
- Assist in selection of financing and legal
- If feasibility study or business plan is
required, help select and work with consultant.
- If bond financing is indicated, review options
for obtaining credit enhancement through insurance, a letter
of credit or through a parent organization or foundation
- Assist in preparation and submittal of application(s)
to lender or credit enhancer, and to any other financial
institution who is a party to the transaction.
- Assist, as needed, in meeting lender requirements
for design and construction.
- If needed, identify and assist in obtaining
bridge financing prior to close of financing and/or prior
to close of capital campaign.
- Assist management during document review
and financing phases
- Assess current giving of organization’s
ongoing funders and individual donors.
- Determine need for capital campaign feasibility
and planning study and assist in selection of consultant.
- Assist in selection or hiring of fundraising
staff if not already in place
- Assist staff and consultants in designing
capital campaign plan, especially as it relates to financing
options and design and development aspects of the project
- Mentoring fund development and/or capital
top of page